Wednesday, November 21, 2012

And this ......


These days when I am very excited celebrating first birthday of my driving with all the appreciation of my rapidly developing driving skills, I got this accident that has jolted my soul like with the 1000 watt electric shock. I felt so helpless at that moment. I wish I could have learned few ninja shots to lesson these jerks.

So I was passing through the Canal Bank Road. This road is a pretty long road with 6 flyovers and usually remains busy at all times of the day. I was in the middle lane with I think 70s speed. The car in front of me slowed down suddenly, gave the left indicator and started moving sharply but stopped because of the heavy traffic on the other lane. When I saw it slowing down and stopping, I slowed down my car and eventually stopped behind it. Three to 4 seconds passed and the car behind me hit my car with its full speed that made my car push ahead but I managed to save the car in front of me. The seat belt saved my head from hitting the wind screen but my neck received a sudden jerk and is still hurting. Who is at the mistake in such accidents? Of course the car that hit the other car from behind. It took few seconds that I realized what had happened. I came out and found a broken and hanging bumper with a small dent as well. The car that hit my car was driven by the chauffeur and the other man, who looked his master, was sitting in the passenger seat and his wife at the back seat. The man started on me why I did stopped in the middle of the road and that it was my mistake. I could stop my car with this speed and couldn't he. Arguments started and he started yelling. I asked him to pay for my loss because he hit my car. He said that I should pay him. The chauffeur started begging in front of my saying “baji meri galti hai muaf kar dein” but his master was very rude and started misbehaving. I would have forgiven if it was the only driver. I did it many times. When I tried to take his cars key from chauffeur’s hand, the man pushed me away. That flared me up. I asked him to behave and his wife from the back seat started abusing me and calling me with the bad names. The man and his wife were in their sixties and looked educated but look at their behavior!

I noted down his car’s number and stood in front of his car saying that I would not leave them without paying for my loss. The man said to the chauffeur; “Gari chalao mai dekhta hon is badmashan”. That was unbearable. He came out, pushed me to the other lane which was still running. I balanced myself by holding his door. He was sitting inside the car and pushing me away. They were leaving and there was nothing I could do. Giving it a climax, I held his hair but I was wearing gloves (which I wear during driving) so I could not pull his hair tightly. They speeded up and left. End of the drama!

The immediate thought that struck me was that he misbehaved because he saw me alone. Is there any respect of a woman in this society, specially when they are travelling alone? Could have he left like this if he would have hit a man’s car? Absolutely not!

And what was the attitude of the people standing around? (though they were 4 or 5 but they were there). Were they not seeing what he was doing with a woman? At that moment, I just wished to be in USA again for obvious reasons. On my return journey, I kept complaining Allah why He put me in such situation where I felt so helpless. 

It reminded me of another incident. It’s been few months I started driving. It was a narrow two way street and I was crawling at a snail’s pace because some kids were playing cricket there. Suddenly a car came from the other lane with the speed and our cars’ sides touched. There were no dent on both of the cars but just few lines. The guys came out and started yelling. My mother threatened them from calling the police. They flared up and punched at the back of my car which created a big bump. I was literally stunned. What did he really do? He left saying my mother; “Ja kar lay ju kar sakti hai” and few cheap abuses. I was scared like hell. My legs were shivering and finding no energy to move. An uncle who was watching all this, came to me and said; “Beta rona nahi. Aisay kharab log bhi isi duniya mai maujood hein lekin iska matlab ye nahi hai k achay log duniya se khatam ho gaye. Himat karo aur ab is incident k baad kahein driving karna chor mat dena dar k maray. Chalo shabash ghar jao”. I desperately needed that unknown uncle in the recent incident.

I was not interested to compensate my loss but these jerks need a lesson. So I handed over his car’s number to my uncle who is DSP traffic police these days. Within an hour he informed that they found the car at some signal and sacked it.

Fine but am I satisfied? My broken self esteem cannot be compensated. It reminded me all of those experiences where I felt myself so helpless, vulnerable and feeble. Such incidents tell me what’s my position in this society. As always, at the end of such experiences, I pray Allah Almighty not to put me in such situations again. I am praying same again. I can't take it anymore. So please Allah listen my prayers and accept them!

Thanking in anticipation!

3 comments:

  1. ameen to the prayers.

    But seriously some people are so not what they look like. There's a saying in punjabi, raah pay janay ya waa pay janay ... which is you only get to know someone when you really interact with them.

    when im crossing the road here with my child, I dont really have to worry about speeding cars, since everyone stops for you. They give you regard and you feel that at least they have got basic ethics. it was opposite in pakistan. Regardless of young or old, woman or child, people just speed on roads and wont even give a second's hesitation to stop and let you pass. We are getting void of ethics :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ameen to your prayers. In a situation like this, try to start making video of the whole scenario, it may give other person reason to behave well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Asma: I so relate to this punjabi phrase. I have seen my females cousins and friends driving in USA with ease and comfort with and without kids. Though jerks are everywhere but I think we do ve them in a very large number.

    @ Tauqeer. Nice idea but Nothing can stop those who are so determined to misbehave anyway, thinking that it is OK to misbehave with strangers. Strange though!!

    ReplyDelete

Bari Ammi

November 15 used to be her birthday. I missed my loving nani terribly today. Visited her today and left roses by her side. It was all quite...