Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Two chunks of embarrassment

Last week we have arranged a training program on 5 S activities. It is a Japanese concept so a Japanese team came for training. Let me explain what are 5 S activities.


Well the 5 S are actually ……….emmm…….i mean……go and search it by yourself. I am not in mood to explain it right now.


So the Japanese came and take over the floor. Checked all the arrangements and criticized our outdated technology. Anyhow the program was good. Everyone enjoyed it. I did enjoy the first session but felt awkward in the session after the lunch.


Lunch was served. I took some rice and chicken pepper and took a corner of the dining hall. One of the Japanese was roaming around with some restlessness on his face. He did not look like most of he Japanese did as he was tall with khari khari nose and wide eyes. Two times, he came to that table I was standing near by. As a host I was supposed to ask him what’s wrong with him but I ignored. Then the third he came over there, I had to ask him what’s his problem.


Me: Can I help you?

He: No no it’s alright. Which company are you from?

Me: I am in the organizing team. (Damn it cant you see me running here and there since morning)

He: oh yes sorry I forgot (actor kahein ka)

Me: I think you need a table, as plate is quite heavy. (I saw him changing the hands for plate frequently)

He: no no I am ok with it. (Phir kiya takleef thi bay chane rooh)

Me: are you enjoying the meal? (I tried to solve the puzzle of his restlessness)

He: yes I am. It’s pretty delicious. I think it’s chicken biriyani.

Me: Not it’s vegetable rice

He: vegetable biriyani?

Me: yes (I ended it up with out any other argument)

He: you know I tried the chicken biriyani at home. (How could I know man?)

Me: really? Then? (don’t question my acting)

He: it was completely unsuccessful attempt.

Me: I am sure you’ll be through next time.

He: might be.

I turned my back to him and tried to concentrate on chicken pepper. So delicious….hmmm

He: Have you tried Japanese cuisine? (halak ka darbaan)

Me: no

He: do try it. they are not so spicy but delicious.

Me: I will. What’s your traditional dish?

He: Sushi (He explained all the ingredients used in it and how to cook it. While my all concentration was on my plate with ‘oh really, ‘that’s nice’.

Me: sounds tasty (I noticed that his plate got empty long ago)


My other colleague (female) joined us in discussion and they left me and my plate alone. I finished the meal and went for sweet dish. The guy caterer standing there did not let me touch the spoon and himself gave me an ice cream bowl and two big chunks of Kulfah. I didn’t mind. It was so delicious. I went to another empty corner but both of them (the Japanese and my colleague) caught me there. I realized that it was not the restlessness. His facial expressions were like that. I saw other Japanese, all seemed to me restless. I think it’s the restlessness that force them to do some thing. It was strange observing them. My colleague’s louder laughter came me back there.


Me: why didn’t take you guys the kulfah?

She: Let’s go. (she asked him)

He: you go please

She: you come with me (she grinned)

He: no no please you go.

She: Why don’t you come with me? (Now I was enjoying their lovely discussion).

He: I am going to the training hall. You go and enjoy the sweet dish.

She looked at me like asking me for assistance and that was the point which left me with embarrassment.

Me: (to him) why don’t you try kulfah. It’s so delicious.

He: No please you guys carry on.

Me: there is still a WHY?

He: (he looked at my bowl and said) Actually I am on diet.

My colleague followed his glance to my bowl and started hehehehe

Itni bezti……oh God. I wished to kill that kulfah guy. He gave me the two pieces; I swear I did not ask for two. Ok I was happy and thinking of taking the third one but I did not ask specifically.


Both of them went off leaving me with my kulfah alone.


Why he was dieting? He was so thin. And I, jutti Punjab di, never ever cared about my weight and I know I can never go for dieting. Was he pointing out that I should not take this kulfa? I think Not. But if Yes, then how could he dare? He ruined my mood.

Lessons to learnt:

  1. Try not to talk to anyone while you are eating.
  2. Do not insist anyone for taking any dish even if you are the host.
  3. Eat as many chunks of kulfah or ice cream as you want but one by one.

14 comments:

  1. Now this is one scrumptious post. You guys actually had Japanese people over for the S-5 that's great btw. Oh whenever I'll get to eat kulfa! It's been years since I last had it


    P.S. Sushi only 'sounds' good, I've had a bitter experience of actually trying it once :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can never ever say no to kalfis...even wen i need to loose some weight

    ReplyDelete
  3. heheheh...

    Honestly, halfway thru the post i thought that Japanese guy was trying to talk to you and for a while i imagined a matchmaking session and how like a fool you are not understanding it :)
    (Maybe, you should try striking a conversation with him if they are still around :))

    Regarding the lessons, i totally agree...i have a post on similar lines waiting... But interestingly, i am always on diet although i never utter that word outside and my brother wonders whether i am really dieting :):)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Pointless Escapism
    Are Japanese a fantasy for you? Here Japanese and Chines roam around like locals.
    I am sorry my talk over meals happens to wake up the famished and starving guy for Paki food inside you.

    @ Karachiwali
    Com'on yar, how much weight a mere kulfa or kulfi or any ice cream can increase? Ruled out :)

    @ a fan
    matchmaking......errr....Now you got the real story that it's not always a matchmaking, boys sometimes try to point out how much you are eating. morons

    i am feeling now that he might want to point out also the lil stack of my rice and black pepper chicken. But believe you me, they were so tasty.

    They remain in contact with us. what if i give him your contact number? You both live on diet naa khoob jamay gi....hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always send the other person to get the dessert. Its His/ Her plate and my partaking :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think my female colleague and you think in a same direction ;P see she was also insisting him, of course for partaking

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. deleted the comment as thou shall not force others :)

    reg me, thank you but not interested :) (unless ofcourse he looks like schumi or atleast george clooney ;))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hold on! hold on.....you mean when a guy starts talking about his cooking skills, it means there is something running in his mind? *feeling eastern i mean shy now ;p*. Thank you God, you have arranged to meet me with such a wiser gal. Thanks a fan, I would take care of it next time....hehehe

    BTW what do you think why didn't i talk to him normally? ;p of course he did not look like your 'schumi' nor my McDreamy ;p

    ReplyDelete
  10. Why deleted? I loved that comment ;p

    ReplyDelete
  11. maybe, you are too innocent and frank to understand that subtle move :)
    (nowadays, i am becoming good at flattering people ;))

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes i am innocent and flattered too :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes you have and now you make up for it. Where's the promised Gur walay chawal ki recipe? haha =D

    ReplyDelete
  14. forget it! you cant cook them

    ReplyDelete

Bari Ammi

November 15 used to be her birthday. I missed my loving nani terribly today. Visited her today and left roses by her side. It was all quite...