Thursday, May 7, 2009

A good deed has been snatched from my hands?

A weird incident happened yesterday. I went to nearby park for a stroll with my girlfriends. Traffic was on its boom. We were about to enter the park when I saw a cell phone jumping out of a bike rider’s pocket. He didn’t notice and rushed away. I told my friends about it and we decided to pick up the cell. Traffic was heavy but I managed to reach the cell phone.

While picking the cell, I was thinking the different ways to contact the owner and that he would be very happy to have his mobile back. This thought made me very enthusiastic. But I was not the only one who saw the cell phone resting on the road. When I reached the cell phone, a rickshaw driver tried his best to hit me. I picked up the cell phone and about to return the footpath, when I saw an aged man stopping his motorcycle just few steps ahead of me. He was wearing the faded uniform of traffic constable, the old uniform, white shirt and blue pants. He was almost 60 years old. I saw him turning his bike to me. When he came closer to me, some words uttered from my mouth, “ye…. mobile………apka…..?” I noticed some very strange expressions on his face. I couldn’t complete my question, he nodded and snatched the mobile from my hand with a jerk and ran away. My mouth was about to touch the ground. I was in the state of shock. I knew the cell phone was not his but I could not do any thing. That khabees rickshaw driver came again and said “why did you give that mobile to him? It was not his.” Don’t know why but I felt guilty at that moment like I had stolen some one’s mobile. I couldn’t say any thing but “wo….mai….pata nahi……kis ka tha?”. I was sure for one thing that if I would have not picked up the mobile, he surely had grabbed it. choor uchakka…..And constable’s facial expressions and his move were enough to tell me that he wont return the cell.

The feeling that I was going to do some thing good had
flown away. I felt very down at that moment, a blend of regret and helplessness. How could that old constable snatch someone else’s mobile from my hand? Why that auto driver was fighting with me like I had handed over his mobile to the constable? How much the mobile owner would have felt sorry and sad at his loss? He might have some important contacts in it, some lovely pics of his family, some memorable videos, and most of all mobile was looking quite expensive and new.

I really feel bad for that old constable. He not o
nly snatched my going-to-be good deed but added a bad one to his account.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm I can understand what you might be going thru. Its kinda disturbing when good-deeds-to-be turns sore.
    Cheer up..

    BTW just stumbled into your blog.. nice read

    *apologies for the prev comment.. I mistook*

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes,cheer up...

    On a lighter note, you know you can actually do a good deed by donating to a relief fund in India. Let me know if you are interested, i shall send my account number :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome Naveen
    No appology, I loved your previous comment also ;p

    @ a fan

    I will donate for India also but let me help my home first :)

    And thanks for your consolation :)

    ReplyDelete

Bari Ammi

November 15 used to be her birthday. I missed my loving nani terribly today. Visited her today and left roses by her side. It was all quite...