Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I love to be treated preferably.


I am Pakistani girl. I live in a society where women are still striving hard for their due rights. Our slogan is same as of Western female activists that women should be treated on equal with men of the society (Did I mention that our society is male dominated even in 21st century?). It would be a news for you that we still practice separate lines for males and females in Pakistan. It means that in all customer centres and any other office where women come often, separate lines for men and women are made where both are treated turn by turn. So we enjoy the right of equality but in separate lines. I would like to share one of my experiences which had told me how much separate lines are blessing for us.

Few months back, I lost my identity card. I am still shocked where it has gone. Anyhow, I had to go to NADRA for a duplicate copy. I was told that Friday is meant for women only, although women are also treated separately in the whole week. I went there early. The place was deserted at that time. There was only a girl standing in the concerned window. I took my ticket and moved to the waiting room. I saw few ladies from the glass door waiting for their turn. I heard my name as I entered the room (they are damn quick). I was guided to a small hall, which was full of female NADRA staff except a photographer, a long hair guy. He asked me to sit on the stool. I was just making myself prepared for the photograph. I was about to smile when I heard him saying ‘done’. There was only one guy out there at the moment who proved himself to be a non professional member of the staff. Anyhow, beautiful and smart girls took my 10 minutes only to fulfill all the relevant forms. I did not do any thing except singing a piece of paper. I felt ease when one of the girls took my fingerprints. It would have been difficult for me if any guy was deputed there. I was sent to another window outside the office for a final stamp. When I came outside, there was a very long queue of men, more than 40, waiting for their turn. I did not understand what they were doing on a females’ day. I thanked God hundred times when I found my relevant window empty which was side by side the male’s queue. I checked in the window, had the stamp on my ticket and flied off.

Keep in mind that women are 51% of total population. Out of this 51%, less than 20% of women work or come outside for any engagement. You can better understand that this preferential treatment would encourage them to come outside for daily work. The separate lines would also be a persuasion for them to do their work by themselves. I am a working lady but I was feeling hesitation to go to NADRA. I always hesitate to go to the over-crowded public places. But my father insisted me to go there once and I got happy to see all the arrangements of NADRA made for our facilitation.

Moral Lesson:

-Trust NADRA. She will not disappoint you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bari Ammi

November 15 used to be her birthday. I missed my loving nani terribly today. Visited her today and left roses by her side. It was all quite...