Thursday, January 15, 2009

I was the Acting Mother....

One morning, I woke up and came to know that I have two grown up kids to take care of. I was fully directed to deal with them as an Acting Mother for a month and so. Although I was on my marks but still I had to tune myself by saying that ‘Act like a mother’ ‘don’t you know how much their mother is used to do for them?’ and such other touchy dialogues.

My lovely sister whom I call Apu went for Hajj mashAllah and left kids with us, in fact with me. My mother is suffering from joints problem specially her hands' joints give her difficult time. She asked me whether I could handle them or not and I responded positively. Her husband was taking his mother for Hajj. He offered Apu if she could arrange someone for taking care of kids, so that they could go together. And yes masi comes at second in this list. Even after all of my assurance, both Apu and bhai were confused on what to do and what not. They took the decision and Allah eased every thing further.

I admit that I am not a good planner but I am used to manage every thing when it comes to me practically. I took a month’s leave and donated myself to them. The elder daughter, Maham, is 9 years old and the younger son, Hassaan is of 4. They do not seem kids but they are so much attached with their mom that they could not spend few hours without her. Some time I felt like Allah has come to comfort them as He loves 70 times more than their mother does. Both are attached to me more than anyone else at home even not with their nani and mamoon. Hassaan did not eat any thing from anyone except me.

But both are quite naughty, pampered and kinda ziddy. Their innocent mischief and intelligent discussions were really very interesting. I felt myself alive. I would definitely share some.

Their exams came during these days. I had to go to Multan (as they live there) for their exams for 15 days. There, I had to manage all household work with their preparation of exams too. The most hectic job was cooking. I practiced a lot and tried almost all dishes. I think I know the ABC of cooking now. I cooked many dishes in cooker also, which is a fear for me seriously. It needs a separate post.

The most worrying moment was when Hassaan got cold. Apu’s kids are very sensitive and she specially instructed me in this respect. I remained after them with sweaters, sox and caps lekin baat kam hi suntay thay. Anyhow, he fell seriously ill with extensive vomiting and motions. I had to sit all the time with him. I thought many times kaash is ki jaga mai bemar ho jati itna sa bacha aur itni takleef. He got up in mid of the night with headache and stomach pain. But thank you Allah Mian Jee, he recovered very quickly. Then we celebrated his belated birthday. He was not much happy toward the birthday presents. I did not like the black forest cake. Damn gourmet.

Time has passed very quickly. I remembered only two days now, the day when Apu left them asleep and the day when she was kissing them passionately at airport. I didn’t understand why Apu and me wept a lot when we met after 40 days. She wept as she met her kids after long time and I wept as I was saying them goodbye. I am missing them a lot. I miss each and every bit that I had spent with them. May they live long and become very good Muslims.

Apu was telling me that Hassaan is still calling her khala. That is enough salutation for me.

An interesting chapter of my life is finished.

2 comments:

  1. wah g wah, khala jaan aap ne tu kamaal kar diya..

    tell u what, now that u have learned how to handle kids, how to cook n everything...auntie se baat karni paray ge uss baat k baray main ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. pehlay apni 'baat' puri karo dadi amman

    ReplyDelete

Bari Ammi

November 15 used to be her birthday. I missed my loving nani terribly today. Visited her today and left roses by her side. It was all quite...