Monday, March 9, 2009

Women's Day Special

I thought a lot what special should I write for the Women’s Day. It should have been meaningful and purposeful. But what it should be? Didn’t get any thing worthy to write upon. I don’t exactly know what I am going to write now.

Why does the world celebrate women’s day? Would celebrating a specific day for women change the condition of women, especially women of under developed or developing countries? Would this day help us in getting our due respect and rights? Has the number of abandoned and distraught parents been decreased after celebrating Mother and Father’s days?

Nothing would change unless and until people change their mindsets, their perceptions and their way of thinking. The hardest thing is to change the perception of the people. But change is persistent. Sooner or later people’s thinking towards women would change. It has already been changed but much more change is required.

I still remember an incident and I think it would remain glued to me forever. In our organization, we almost have 140 males and just 12 females staff members. Sometimes, we females feel that we are being suppressed by our male colleagues. They intentionally try to exploit us. They always jump in front of us while they see us going forward. Many of us including me were very upset, as we were not getting our due recognition. I myself felt and still feeling that most of the men do not digest women coming in front line. They do not leave any single chance to show women how much stupid they are and that they always put foolish ideas. And the same idea is considered best if it comes from any of their male counter part. They expect women to work behind them proving that there is always a woman behind every successful man. They think that they would do justice when they mention the woman behind them in the end.

The most interesting thing is that such conflicts never come in front of any one. They remain hidden and are not given any importance. People just take it for granted. Khair conflicts between men and women staff members were getting worse. A meeting was called to solve the conflicts between few colleagues (not between men and women). At the end, the head asked if some one else had any issue to be discussed. He saw everyone and I found myself raising my hand. I don’t exactly remember what I had said but my fellows told me later that it was an emotional speech. I just remember few lines: “To open door for women and letting them enter first and to empty your chair for women is not the standard of respecting women. We appreciate if you do it for us but we will be more than thankful when you recognize our work and efforts too. We females consider it more than worth when male colleagues appreciate our work and ideas as they do for their fellows”. That was my main context. I cannot explain the facial variations of my male colleagues.

After the meeting, they decided to boycott me socially. They started lobbying worse against us especially against me. They thought and still think that they regard women a lot and that I had some issues with one of them but I had criticized everyone. And that I should have discussed the issue with that specific person personally but not in the meeting. I (and my poor fellows) had to face severe propaganda. I might be wrong in my views but I spoke as a representative of all women. The interesting point was that they did not find themselves wrong in any case. The most cowardice of them was that they did not dare to talk to me directly during and after the meeting. Dar gaye shaid ……

There are some girls who enjoy men’s company more than women’s (it’s a fact OK). We are blessed with such a precious girl. All females were on my side after the meeting and she alone was in the male compartment. Hahahaha and she is still their biggest sympathizer. Although men do not leave any chance of hitting her too.

Khair it was all-discouraging but I got much strength emotionally and morally after that. I learnt how to present yourself and how to fight for your rights. No one would come for your help; you would have to take stand for yourself. The management has done some reforms which are really meant for our betterment. The crux of the story is how could the condition of women change until or unless men consider that women are in distress.

6 comments:

  1. people just want to make their lives simpler...talk about an issue on a prticular day and then forget about it for the rest of the year

    ReplyDelete
  2. True yar.
    My sister performed Hajj this year mashAllah. She told me that they had a Mufti in their group who used to preach morals and ethics whenever they got free time. He was kinda Tahajud guzar person who seemed to follow Islamic rules strictly. His wife was also accompanying him. My sister told me that Mufti sab was used to beat his wife at night and the whole floor echoed with her screams. She was not allowed even to take three meals a day as per Musfti sab human beings can survive with single meal a day. The poor lady had to carry the whole luggage also. Other males used to render her a helping hand lekin musfti k kaan par joon tak na reengti. Other members of the group (both males and females) tried to stop him but he was a real stubborn. He started taking her outside the hotel for beating period.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If there is no error on part of blogger.com.. then the new format absolutely awesomely sucks!

    tu nein show marni thi meeting mein.. maar li. ab bhughat. acha hoa.
    :p

    aur dunya jahan k beemar loag tujhay ya teray kisi rishtadar ko kyun miltay hain?

    ReplyDelete
  4. aisay kisi ho nai kehna chahiye wesay subha se mai das baar color scheme change kar chuki hoon kuch pasand hi nai aa raha they have f#$%&*g templates

    aur hum aankhein khuli rakhtay hein naa isi liaye bemaar logun ko jaldi pehchan letay hein

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my god that is so sad! Islam teaches men to be gentle to their wives...and who made this man a mufti!!

    ReplyDelete

Bari Ammi

November 15 used to be her birthday. I missed my loving nani terribly today. Visited her today and left roses by her side. It was all quite...