Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The second child

Few days back, one of my friends called me up and informed me that her baby was due in just two days (a surprise). She requested me, in fact begged me to suggest her any good name for a baby girl. She needed the name before baby’s birth, as CMH requires names for making babies’ files for its record at the time of birth. It is very difficult to change the name after words once it is filed. Well I don’t know what are the rules and regulations of Army in this respect. But my question was why the parents had got no time to find out any name for their baby. She responded that they did not know the gender of the baby at first place, secondly it was their second child and thirdly she did not want her in-laws to name her second baby too. I could not argue much with her as she was getting so much irritated. So her bezti is still due.


I started preparing a list of names. I loved most of them. She called me again that name should be with ‘D’ or ‘da’. On my objection, she replied that some one (siyana) suggested the letter ‘d’ according to baby’s horoscope. What the hell it is? I have never come across with such superstitious people. It is said that we should call our kids with good names not with horoscope related names. I declined to find out name, but her minnatein smajtein etc etc and that her husband was waiting for My suggested name. I excused by saying that there is no good name with ‘D’. But she remained determined that I would have to do this at any cost. No one in her family had time because of her little sister’s wedding preparation.


I kept on thinking the whole next day about the horoscope thing. It is not digestible for me. I don’t know why people have such baseless notions. I rechecked my list of names. All names were Islamic and very meaningful. Khair she called me again late night and asked about the name. She was going to the hospital at that time. I felt her critical condition. I couldn’t say anything. There was no name in my mind. And I said spontaneously ‘Name her Dua’. She disconnected thankfully. She remained in ICU for two days. I could not go to see her as she was in Pindi. Thank God she got stabled the next day. Both are out of danger now.


She contacted me yesterday. She seemed quite fresh and happy. She conveyed her husband’s thanks to me. He and his parents are quite happy with the name ‘Dua’ and that he was somewhere thinking about this name but could not tell his wife, as he wanted her and her family to name their second child. He was extremely grateful. I myself felt happy and somehow proud that I named a baby. A strange feelings ….of having some credit. hahahaha


But the incident left me with many questions. Why do some people depend on horoscope while selecting babies’ names? Is there any Islamic verdict about it? (I found nothing). Is there any rational logic behind it? Why don’t parents choose their kid’ s name before his/her birth? They can choose both boys’ and girls’ names for safe hand. (My sis and bro-in-law chose my niece name after one month of her birth and they changed it after a year. crazy parents. People were used to ask 'kiya naam hai aaj kal bachi ka'). Is it such a big issue that who should pick a name for the baby? Dad’s family or mom’s family? Is it not their first right and responsibility to choose the names of their kids? And if grandparents choose the name, what’s harm in it? Today’s grandparents are more updated about names.I know some who themselves searched on net for their grand children’s name.


Why parents are not so enthusiastic for the second child? (I am the second child too and I am not sure what my parents actually felt at my birth and whether they had chosen my name before my birth or not. I never bothered about it). I came across to many parents who were not at all curious for their second child and they did have the third child like they finished with a responsilibty. lol :)


The most important question, why don’t Fedex and TCS provide courier facility for methai (sweets)? Damn!


I love this pic :)


Well those who are going to have their second child, do contact me for nice names. My list is still lying idle. And this service would be free of cost.

*Note: Methai excluded.


11 comments:

  1. children are a blessing from Allah (SWT). if parents are so 'un'concerned about the second child, they shouldnt have planned one in the first place. I hope this feeling of unwantedness (is that even a word? :P ) would change as soon as they would have the baby in their arms

    ReplyDelete
  2. If this is not the word, we would recommend the lexicographers to add it in the doctionaries.

    Well they are not unconcerned but less enthusiastic. and yes you are right, it ends with the arrival of the baby. Leena! should we postpone this topic for few years?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard someone saying that couples are crazy about becoming parents at first. Then it becomes the routine work. Some parents would definitely intend to kill me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's human nature to be crazy and excited for the first time...be it job or crush or even love ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of you (the contributors till date AND before me)are females. wait a bit. When your turn comes... do mail me! I'll tell you how crazy this gender is about children :p

    You did not discuss the issue of name being Arabic! Its another dimension too. Somehow that would make us 'more' muslims!

    ReplyDelete
  6. PostMan,

    I think i will not fit into a sterotype gender.But as you said, lets wait and see :)

    btw, i think RebellionCrap is suffering from cold,fever after reading about your glacier tent saving act ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who is denying that we are not crazy about children? At least, not I.

    The post was actually about the degree of craze which is proportaional to the number of kids.

    And you were supposed to share your own views about the second child too. You have just criticised us :|

    Who says that the names of children should be Arabic? If it's so then Faiza's name should be changed first :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol fan

    Actually I feel jealous of all those who go for trekking :|

    And for sterotype gender, I doubt you :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ditto that. I think 9 months is enough time to think of a few names (girls and boys both). But may be people have different priorities or something. God knows.

    As for horoscope thing, I think the tv channels and their spread in this regard is to blame. I've seen this a lot in few desi channels over here in UK too. In the name of Islam, minds of people are maligned. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh And tcs's sentiments service is handy for sending stuff to loved ones in country .. mithayi etc.

    http://www.sentimentsexpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was my point Asma, they should think of few names during 9 months :)

    Thanks for the TCS sentiments service....I should publicize it :|

    ReplyDelete

Bari Ammi

November 15 used to be her birthday. I missed my loving nani terribly today. Visited her today and left roses by her side. It was all quite...