Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Harsh Realities of life

So me again. Life is going all well. Yes I remained upset for some days but have to accept the harsh realities of life. Actually an incident has left me with many questions, nuisance, frustration and a heart deep pain. I don’t know for how many times I have washed my hands but the smell and stains of blood seem everlasting. It would have happened to many of you but it happened to me for the first time.


Now the incident………


My brother and I were returning home after some wandering around on his bike. It was around 0930 pm (yes we do wander late night hehehe). We saw a mob at the petrol pump near Chuburji. When came closer, we saw a middle aged women lying unconscious on the road. There was no woman around. Few men were trying to lift her up mercilessly but they could raise her up, as she was quite bulky and completely unconscious. The way they were lifting her up was quite terrible. I couldn’t see it and jumped from the bike. Blood was oozing fast from her head. Her whole face was covered with blood. For some time, I forgot everything. I was standing shocked there to see the blood. I never had a chance in my whole life to see such a massive bleeding of someone. My legs started trembling. I felt like I am also going to faint. Suddenly my brother shouted, “Did anyone call 1122 rescue?” A little boy of 10 told that they were not receiving the call. Another man pointed towards me and screamed “peechay peechay ho jaein ye aik baji aa gai hein ye sambhalti hein auntie ko”. Everyone made baji’s way to auntie but baji was unable to move. My brother held my shoulder and yelled again “Stop any car and I search for some taxi or rickshaw”. I came into my senses and rushed to the main road. I tried to stop some cars. Some didn’t stop. Few bothered to stop but they refused to take the auntie to the hospital. Some changed their direction after seeing the injured auntie. At that time, I thought we might not be able to get any help. The interesting thing was that there were 20 of people standing just as spectators. No one was doing any thing. I saw a young boy crying over auntie’s head. He was her son. He told me that she fell from his bike. My brother brought a rickshaw. When we were trying to put auntie into rickshaw, the damn rickshaw driver went off.

With a sudden thought, I made a call to 1122 rescue service from my cell. They picked up the phone immediately. I wanted to slap that boy who was saying that they were not receiving any call. We told the exact location. I tied her head with her dupata. She was wearing silken dress and blood was hardly absorbing in it. But my cotton suit was quickly absorbing her blood. She shook her head with a jerk, which untied her dupatta. I again tied her head with the dupatta. This time, my hands were not shaking and I tied her head tightly. After some time, the bleeding was stopped a bit, don’t know why. She gained some consciousness. Her son and I picked her up and help her to sit on the chair (she was quite heavy duty). My brother told us that ambulance was coming in seven minutes.


Auntie started shouting while holding my hand “Munir, mijhay kuch nazar nai aa raha (I cant see)”. Her son came closer and instead of consoling her started crying. She didn’t remember what had happened to her. Khair I tried to make her calm but auntie got unconscious time and again. The ambulance came after exact 7 minutes. The first question they asked was “auntie can you walk towards ambulance”. Auntie didn’t responded, and then he said to me “help her to get into the ambulance”. I wished to ask him what he was supposed to do. But I was indebted to him that they guys came anyway. He insisted me a lot to accompany the auntie in the ambulance but I did agree and my brother was also holding my hand with the not-to-go-looks. They went off siring toontunotuun.

I forgot to take the number of auntie. I am sure that auntie will be quite well and healthy and enjoying her at home. Ameen.


I heard before that people don’t stop while seeing any accident. Now I have experienced it. I can’t explain you the desperate situation that we have faced. Are we really that selfish? How can we see some one dying? Why do we always think that some one would surely help them if not me? Why do we try to be among those who help people? Is it that difficult? We were giving extra fare to rickshaw driver but he didn’t ready to take us to the hospital.


My brother told that we should help the accident affectees till the aid comes. Beyond it, we can be trapped in police investigation. What the hell it is? Is a police investigation more important than a human life? And how can we stop helping others with the fear of police inquiry. It is ridiculous. If police causes delay in patient’s treatment, you cause more callous crime by not helping injured people to reach to the hospital. Don’t count yourself beyond them. You are equally responsible for it.


I don’t know what is the procedure of police while handling the accident cases. One thing that should be prioritized in any case that there should be no delay in patient’s treatment.

It is always difficult to accept the ugly face of life but yes i have to. I am the part of this selfish society but it does have some helping people like my brother and me :)

Ahhhh it is so good to feel great hehehe :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bari Ammi

November 15 used to be her birthday. I missed my loving nani terribly today. Visited her today and left roses by her side. It was all quite...