Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Act Dumb!

Part 1: 

On another day, we girls were discussing on a Blog that 'Acting Dumb' saves you from many hassles. Being a working lady, you have to live and survive in a male dominated work environment where males are joking and kidding around and they may roll you in it. If you respond their kidding positively, you are trapped. Then each time, they would try to crack jokes around you and expect appreciation from you in form of smile or laugh even on their dumb and ‘basement’ (means literally lower) type jokes. The spontaneous and seldom smiling is some thing natural. It does not create any problem.


So the technique “Act dumb” is a very safe way of getting rid of these kinds of kidding. If you like the joke, enjoy it inside but act dumb through your facial expressions. Men would think of you Jenny (hehe) and would avoid cracking jokes in front of you. It may hurt your image of intelligent lady but believe you me it may save you from many problems, especially the meaningful talk which your colleagues actually intend to make YOU listen.

Beside all these tactics, sometimes you have to listen and respond to others. In my private life, I speak spontaneously without giving any second thought (actually first thought) to what I am saying. But in my professional life, I have to think before speaking. And whenever I try to think first (most difficult task), I lose the chance of responding appropriately and timely and when the moment is passed, many possible answers come in my mind. It always happens to me. Hence, it’s useless to think whether it’s before and after saying anything.

***********************

Everyone likes to be appreciated. I don’t deny the human nature. But I don’t know why I feel so awkward when someone praises me. I feel more happy when people appreciate my work and nature but it turns out embarrassing when it comes to my appearance or all. I mean I like to dress decently but when someone praises my dressing, I get annoyed and it becomes clearly visible from my facial expressions. I mean if I don’t want to be appreciated, then why the hell I dress and present myself so well. I think I also have a dual personality. Since I have started working, I could not make myself used to such appreciation and I admit my inability I to hide my expressions as well. My fierce expressions stop people from complimenting in future. But still it’s a problem for me. I don’t digest blunt and direct, even indirect compliments on ME. And when I don’t like compliments so I cannot say thanks in response, bad etiquette. In fact, I am learning what to say at such moments keeping the distance and the reserveness of my behavior.

****************

The speechless moments are numerous and I think they are on rise. Does it mean I have started thinking? Don’t know but I think I am getting quiet by the passing time. was it a dumb joke? Khair I don’t have any thing worthy to write upon so I decided to recall some of my Speechless Moments. Oh “Speechless Moments” can be a good title of this post. Errrr…..I thought again after writing/saying something.

So here they are:

My Boss always needs briefing before any meeting regarding the previous meeting. Hai koi baat...Don’t know why he always forgets what was discussed in the last meeting even attending the meeting in full consciousness. There was a meeting regarding one of my projects, so I was called in his office. Another brother colleague was also sitting there silently. I started my briefing and Boss started refreshing his memory by saying “haan yaad aiya”. I paused for picking some other points, while boss pointed out towards the brother colleague:

Boss: What’s wrong with you? You look so tired today.
B. C: Do I? (he looked at me and sought my approval and I ‘Acted Dumb’)
Boss: Yes it’s evident from your eyes, same as her eyes show that she is a quite naughty girl but she tries to hide it a lot (he directly pointed out towards me).
B. C: You are right my daughter was ill and I had to stay awake all night. And you are also right on the second point.

Now both started looking at me and got speechless.

Boss: Am I right?
I: No, I am not naughty. (I said with an expressionless face).
Boss: No I cannot be wrong (I know you are a Boss). I judge people rightly. You know I taught for 10 years. I can read faces and eyes of kids. And your eyes are opposite to your composed nature.
I: No ….(pause)….actually…..hmmm……(thinking what to say) ….So I was telling you that no major decision was made in the last meeting (I handed over a paper to him).

Boss stared at me for few seconds, and then at bro colleague, both smiled and he took the paper from my hand.

*****************

One of the sis colleagues called me in her cabin when she was sitting with a bro colleague:

She: Hey! give us a second please!
I: What's the matter? (I stopped there)

She: Check his eyes (she pointed towards him)
I: What?
She: Did you notice some wrinkles around his eyes?

Now he started looking at me with the desire to listen some comments from me.

I: hmmm….(pause)…err….(I looked at the paper in my hand)....actually....I don’t understand what do you want to listen?
She: Oho I was actually advising him to get married now (she’s is married and she cannot see singles roaming around). Isn’t he getting old?

I saw him, then the paper, then her, paper, him, tube light, her, peon, paper, her, table, paper, him…….oh God. In this whole time, he was seeing me like he would force me to say some thing for his wrinkled eyes. Damn! he was enjoying my situation.

I thought it better to slip from the scene.

I heard her saying at my back “oho mai bhi kis say poochnay bheit gai jis nay shaid apni shakal bhi mirror mai sahi terhan naa dekhi ho. Listen to me! I am telling you it’s the right time for getting married… :(

*****************


Once I wore a beautiful kolhapuri chappal. I still love it. It's of pink color with a big stone on it surrounded by some embroidery. But once a colleague praised the chappal with “it actually suits in your feet”. I never wore that chappal again. 

**************


I was arguing with a colleague:

I: Actually my point of view is that we need not to define each and every thing in SOPs. Some thing should remain in black and white. 
He: I agree with you but.....can you please clean lipstick from your teeth! 


I never used lipstick since then. Mom was informing me that all lipsticks have been frozen in the refrigerator. She was threatening me to give all to the maid.... :(



***************

To be continued...

1 comment:

  1. Same, same , same , same, same,
    damn thing happens with me...!
    First three days I joked with my fellows but then What I do now is sticking to my computer and I talk with them only if I have to....!
    And No intelligent talk..!
    THE MOST DIFFICULT THING IS AS YOU STATED this talking sensibly thing...!
    God..! spontaneous talk is a ban, Now I think thrice before uttering a word!
    My tummy hurts and I spend most of my night cursing people..!
    :p

    ReplyDelete

Bari Ammi

November 15 used to be her birthday. I missed my loving nani terribly today. Visited her today and left roses by her side. It was all quite...